PRIVACY NOTICE/PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION NOTICE
This Personal Data Protection Notice (“Notice”) sets out how YP CHEONG & CO (“the Firm”) collects, uses and protects your Personal Data which you have provided to the Firm. By engaging the Firm to provide its services, you hereby consent to the processing of your Personal Data by the Firm in the provision of legal services or the services that you have requested from the Firm (“Services”).
1. PERSONAL DATA
1.1 The “Personal Data” that you provide or have provided to the Firm includes your name, contact details, address, email address, NRIC number or passport number, bank account information, the corporate name of your company, your affiliates, internet protocol (IP) address, particulars of spouse or family member when you engage us as your solicitors or you communicate with us.
1.2 In addition to the Personal Data that you provide to the Firm directly (whether when engaging us to provide our services or during any communication with the Firm), the Firm may also collect your Personal Data from various other sources, including without limitation, from online search tools, information obtained from third parties through lawful sources including but not limited to Companies Commission of Malaysia, National Registration Department of Malaysia and MyEG or other relevant authorities or at events organised or participated by us.
1.3 If you give us information about another person, you confirm that (i) the other person consents to the processing of his personal data; (ii) receive on his behalf any privacy notices; (iii) warrant that you have obtained his consent for us to store his personal data; and that you will extend a copy of this Notice to him.
2. PURPOSE OF PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA
2.1 By engaging the Firm, you hereby agree and consent to the Firm using and processing your Personal Data provided to the Firm, in the manner and for the purposes as described below:
(1) for the purposes of the Services;
(2) for preparing any document or instrument which may be required for the purposes set out in sub-paragraph (1) above and such other ancillary work in connection with sub-paragraph (1) above, including but not limited to, preparing the necessary contract or agreement or instrument to which you are a party, preparing affidavits;
(3) forwarding to relevant overseas third party service providers, for example, overseas trade mark associates for the registration and renewal of trade mark overseas; licensing and other matters.
(4) to provide such necessary information to any regulatory or governmental authorities as required by statutory, regulatory or governmental requirements;
(5) for the Firm’s internal administrative purposes including historical and conflict checking purposes;
(6) for the Firm to communicate with you; and
(7) for the Firm to comply with its obligations under law or any regulations imposed by regulatory or governmental authorities.
2.2 It is voluntary for you to supply your Personal Data to the Firm. However, if you do not wish to provide your Personal Data, the Firm may not be able to:
(1) provide you the services that you require; or
(2) communicate effectively with you.
2.3 The Firm may also use and process your Personal Data for other purposes such as:
(1) to send you materials such as season greeting cards, newsletters, articles, write-ups and other updates, distribute information of events, conferences, talks and seminars which may be of interest to you; and
(2) potential referees to editor / researchers, publications, reports and journals and potential clients who request for referees of past work in our credential statements, tenders and submissions if any, by way of email or mail.
If you do not agree or consent to the Firm processing your Personal Data for the purposes set out in this paragraph 2.3, please notify the Firm by contacting the Firm via the contact details set out in paragraph 5.1 below.
3. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA
3.1 Your Personal Data provided to the Firm or obtained by the Firm shall be kept confidential by the Firm. However, it may be necessary for the Firm to engage third party companies, service providers or individuals to perform certain services on the Firm’s behalf. In such event, you hereby agree and consent that the Firm may disclose and transfer your Personal Data to the third parties, within or outside Malaysia, including without limitation, as follows:
(1) banks and financial institutions;
(2) insurance providers;
(3) storage facility providers;
(4) external advisors and other professional advisors, such as auditors;
(5) such other party as the Firm deems necessary for the purposes mentioned in paragraph 2 above;
(6) third parties including those overseas, who provide data processing services;
(7) any person who is under a duty of confidentiality or who had undertaken to keep such data confidential;
(8) any credit reference agencies or, in the event of default, any debt collection agencies; and
(9) any person such as counsel, who is under a duty of confidentiality to keep such data confidential; which we engaged to fulfil our obligations to you.
3.2 The Firm shall also disclose and transfer the information to any statutory bodies, regulatory bodies and/or governmental authorities where legally required to do so.
4. TRANSFER OF PERSONAL DATA OVERSEAS
4.1 In providing services to you, it may be necessary to forward personal data to relevant overseas third party service providers, for example, overseas trade mark associates for the registration and renewal of trade mark our of Malaysia; licensing and other matters.
5. REQUEST FOR ACCESS AND INQUIRIES
5.1 You may at any time hereafter request for access to, or request for rectification or correction of your Personal Data (subject to payment of fees, if applicable), or limit the processing of your Personal Data by the Firm, as the case may be, however subject to the exceptions and restrictions as may be contained under the applicable law. If you wish to do so, please contact:
YP CHEONG & CO
Advocates & Solicitors
Registered Trade Mark and Industrial Design Agents
Unit 107, 1 st Floor, Bangunan Loke Yew
Jalan Mahkamah Persekutuan
50050 Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603-2691 5093 Fax: +603-26914931
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
You may also contact the Firm via the above contact details if you have any inquiries or complaints in respect of your Personal Data provided to the Firm.
5.2 Please note that the Firm has the right to refuse your request to access and/or make any correction to your Personal Data to the extent permitted under the applicable law.
5.3 In the event of any change in your personal data, you are obliged to promptly contact and notify the Law Firm via the contact details set out in paragraph 5.1 above.
6.1 The Firm reserves the right to amend or modify this Notice from time to time.
6.2 This Personal Data Protection Notice is issued in both English and Bahasa Malaysia. In the event of any inconsistencies or discrepancies between this English version and the Bahasa Malaysia version, this English version shall prevail.